Xcel Energy's response to COVID-19 Learn More
Outage update for Southeastern Minnesota Customers Learn More
If you suspect a leak, leave your home or business immediately and call
800-895-2999 or 911 in an emergency once you are safely outside.
Use your senses to recognize a potentially dangerous natural gas leak:
When an odor is persistent or seems to be everywhere, it could be a sign of a gas leak inside your home or with an outside line. Upon detecting such an odor, immediately get everyone out of your home or building, move a safe distance away, and then call for help. Because an electric spark can ignite an explosion, remember to follow these tips:
Clearing snow and ice from natural gas meters is key to avoiding the potential for dangerous natural gas buildup indoors due to vents becoming sealed. We strongly recommend keeping the entire meter assembly clear by gently removing snow or ice from the meter, associated piping, and the roofline above the meter. You should check often to ensure melting snow isn’t dripping on the meter from the roof or nearby trees. Use a shovel around the meter to move snow away. Do not use a snowblower near a meter.
If using a space heater, take care to ensure safety, because more than 65,000 home fires are attributed to heating equipment each year in the United States, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International. When using a space heater, make sure the heater has the label showing it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory and read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels. Additionally, inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs and connections. Don’t use a space heater if connections are frayed, worn or damaged. Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when leaving a room and don’t go to sleep with a space heater on.
Visit our Preparing for an Outage page for more information.
While rare, natural gas outages can occur. Power outages can also interrupt natural gas service. Here are some tips for staying warm if your gas service is interrupted while the weather is cold:
In addition, take care when choosing alternative heat sources:
If you are having trouble keeping your home comfortably warm during a natural gas service outage, do not stay overnight. Consider spending the night with family or friends, in a hotel or contact your local police or fire department to see if shelters are available.
Turn off your lights when you leave the room—even if you'll only be gone for a moment. Contemporary light bulbs require very little energy to turn "on."
You have been selected to participate in a brief survey to help us improve our site.
By selecting YES, an additional window will open to allow you to take the survey at the conclusion of your visit. Please do not close it if you would like to participate.