Starting line up

105 posts in this topic

I remember a thread that talked about the starting line up week to week but I can't find it.

After the cup game last night who has impressed enough to start against Cardiff at the weekend?

I'd like to see:

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Whelan

Adomah Onomah Hourihane Elmo

Hogan

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Samba, Lansbury, Green, O'Hare, Gabby

When Jack, Jedi and Kodija are back, SB is going to have some serious selection headaches!

Couldn't disagree with that line-up and I'd like to see Bree given some games but I think Bruce will probably start with Hutton again.

Have my doubts about Elmo on the left. Could Adomah play left and put Elmo back on the right.

With Bacuna looking 99% certain to leave, I think Onomah will fill the spot. I actually think that'll be the only change.

I like what Adomah and Green give us but Bruce seems to want to persist with Gabby. And I think Lansbury's first half performance last week would be enough to keep him in the team.

So after 2 games and perhaps only 45 minutes of football displayed, how do people feel about the squad (*sigh*)?

Is it adequate? Do we need to make any more signings? If so, whereabouts?

I'd like to see Elmo replaced by Adomah, Hutton with Bree and maybe Gabby with Green.

But I think the squad is more than good enough.

How do others think about the squad and starting XI?

I think we could do with a left footed winger who can cross to compete on that left wing with Green. Then I think we have the squad we need and just need to work on playing to our ability on a consistent basis.

His success at Hull was built around 3 at the back and wing backs and after conceding 3 goals at Cardiff I think that might have to be the way to go.

Chester in the middle of JT and Samba.

Whelan in front of the back 3 with Hourihane and Onomah further upfield.

Until Kodjia returns I'd like to see RHM given a chance, if fit, alongside Hogan.

I think after that "performance" SB is going to have to do some serious thinking! Clearly it's not the right set up away from home. 

A few players that performed badly need to be dropped. For me they are Hutton, Lansbury and Gabby. I'd look to get another body in midfield to help out.

I'd start:

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Whelan

Adomah Onomah Hourihane Green

Hogan

Subs: Steer, DeLaet, Samba, Lansbury, O'Hare, McCormack, Gabby

And yes I have put McCormack on the bench. If he isn't going to leave he needs to be brought back into the team now. We are seriously short on strikers and we have one who has scored a hatfull of goals at this level watching on TV. Makes no sense to me! 

SB needs to go out and get a player that can play wide on the left. Some one who is direct and has bag loads of pace. I like Green but we have no options in wide positions at the moment. 

Agree about RHM or Davis on the bench. Certainly ahead of McCormack unless he has been busting a gut in training.

They both showed glimpses recently of what they can do and need to be more involved at this level.

The good news: Villa under 23s beat west brom 3-1 tonight.

The bad news: O'Hare, Davis, Doyle-Hays all played the game so most likely won't be involved tomorrow against Reading.

RHM wasn't used so I assume he's in the squad that's travelled!

Here was also talk McCormack would be getting a run out in the u23s but he played no part! Could he be getting a call to the seniors?

for our next game i would like to see

--------------------------------The bloke who cleans the shiter out in the Holte---------------------

Car park attendent----Program seller-----------------hot dog seller ----------fella inside the mascot

ice cream seller-------lad that sells dodgy tickets in the bullring-----litter picker from the Douge Ellis

----------------------------------------------------toilet cleaner-------------------------------------------------------

---------------Barman from the VIP section---------------lad who puts the letters on the shirts in the shop

Then give all those wankers paid to play those jobs for a few weeks , just to bring them down to fuckin reality.

There are two things that need to be adressed from mid week. 

Long balls and creativity. I'd play this:

Johnstone

DeLaet Chester Terry Taylor

Onomah

Adomah Hourihane Green

O'Hare

Davis

Onomah can drop off and take the ball from the CBs. He has two very decent ball players in front of him. Also, if we need to go long Davis has the presence to get on the end of them and hold it up. 

Tell Adomah and Green to run at the defenders and make it clear either O'Hare or Hourihane need to get up and help Davis. Norwich are delicate at the moment too and as we have shown we can't defend so we need to attack. 

Some great news from SB today. Jedi is back training and is looking like being fit for the weekend. Hogan's injury isn't as bad as feared and he should play too. And lastly, Elmo has had 30 stitches but wants to play. 

I read over the last few days that we haven't won a game without Jedi since he arrived. If he is fit he has to start. 

I think SB will go with this:

Johnstone

DeLaet Chester Terry Taylor

Jedi 

Elmo Onomah Hourihane Adomah

Hogan

There are a few selection headaches for SB this week The main one is do you start Davis who had a cracking debut on Saturday or Hogan who scored two last night in the cup?

Also, of the two spots on the wing. Green is likely to start on the left but on the right should it be Elmo or Adomah?

Then RB is a position we have some good cover in. For me Hutton can't start after his performance last weekend. I think RDL to start there. 

There are some issues on the bench too. Why Elphick played in the cup last night and Samba was nowhere to be seen? Should Bree be the back up RB meaning Hutton doesn't even make the bench? Should the likes of O'Hare, Clark, Doyle-Hayes. etc be getting on the bench?

I'd go with:

Johnstone

RDL Chester Terry Taylor

Whelan

Adomah Lansbury Hourihane Green

Davis

Subs: Steer, Bree, Elphick, Onomah, BB, Elmo, Hogan

I'm not too bothered who starts as long as he tells the boys to attack, attack and attack again. The signs of last week is that Potato Head has had his epiphany and we are now in party mode to the prem.

100 points and 100 goals

At the moment it would seem that the selection is having little impact on the scoreboard. A clean sheet would be ideal just to galvanise the defence. I would leave in Davis as striker he has earned it after his last display. But as Ellie mentioned above I think the change in results has come down to freedom of players to be attacking and a new philosophy that seems to involve just score more and you will win. 

Good to have this kind of headache for a change. Will be gutted to see Gabby run out though.

Its as i said before, Premierships are won by your defence, Championship by your attack. If you can out score someone, who cares.

Think he'll start Hogan, tbf 3 in 2 cup games so he deserves it, for the first hour and Davis will play the rest.

After the cup performance i think even Bruce will see that the time is up for Flabby . He needs to give these kids a start now , yes Wigan wasn't the greatest test , but they won it , and won it well . Time to ditch some of the older dross , and give the kid's a crack .

After the cup performance i think even Bruce will see that the time is up for Flabby .

We've been here before.  Every time we think that finally, FINALLY, this is going to happen, we get let down yet again, and Bruce decides to give him yet another chance.  I end up hating myself even more for believing it yet again.  "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".  And fool me for the twentieth time, I feel like opening a vein.  I think the only way Flabby will be leaving Villa is if his legs get gangrene, or some schmuck can be conned into signing him.  The latter is the least likely.

Kodjia should be back from injury round about now.

With the addition of Snodgrass we'll have quite a line up!

I hope Adomah features ahead of Elmo if we play 4 at the back.