Match Thread: Wolves Vs Villa (5pm)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

As always, please keep all pre-match, live and post match chatter in here.

A big game for both sides, for Villa, the chance to put some real pressure on this seasons front runners and for Wolves a chance to consolidate their title hopes.

For me, I can see a draw written all over this. Bruce will play a five man midfield and try and hit them on the break and it will be interesting as we rarely play a team that will be attacking us from the off, rather than sitting behind the ball and trying to frustrate us!

Score draw 1-1.

I think if Davis is fit he will almost have to play two up top again as we have looked much better since going 4-4-2. But if Davis is out he has the ideal opportunity to get another body into midfield. With Taylor out for 3 games the big question is who fills in at LB? I think SB will go with this: 

Johnstone

Elmo Chester Terry DeLaet

Whelan

Snodgrass Onomah Hourihane Adomah 

Kodija

I think most likely a draw too but I think Wolves will be up for this one and a defeat wouldn't surprise me. 

Your in early with this thread Tanser, good to see you 

My heart says 4-1 Villa, my head says a draw. I have had so much fun winding up the Dingles at work. Telling them it means much more to them than to us. as they are just a small club. They all hate us but we don't give them a second thought. We land in Gran Canaria at 4:30 on Saturday. By the time we have got to our digs it will be nearly over. I have mentioned to  Mrs T that we may get to see the second half in a bar. She thinks I am a comedian,

actually she said.

"going to watch football an hour into our holiday. Are you fucking joking"

Is there any game that isn't a big game!? So er, BIG game this, and very intriguing to see just how steadied our ship is, and judge how we measure up against good teams. Bruce has a terrible record against the 'good' teams home and away since he's been in charge, so big day all round. 

Draw seems likely. Lose and Bruce will feel the instant heat of an unconvinced crowd. 

Yawn....

how good are Wolves though ? Always a threat looked like scoring everytime they went forward. Beautiful football. 

Their ball control and movement was really good to watch and then I realised we have a dinosaur in charge, dinosaurs in the coaching staff and a few dinosaurs at boardroom level. We need to change the way we operate as even if we go up we are coming straight back down. 

The limiting factor to any success or progression will alway be the weakest links in the chain. It’s pretty obvious our weakest link in the chain.

So we need to learn how to hold onto opponents shirts so that they can not getting to attacking positions ?  It sems that is the tactic opponents use to stop our players from progressing so perhaps we should be doing the same , or is that against the rules ?

We were totally out played and a little worryingly totally out paced. Wolves looked like an excellent outfit. (it was hard to type that). I'm putting it down to a blip though. Bounce back Saturday and go the next 8 unbeaten. Still think we will win it.

Didn't get to watch the highlights until today. Looks like we got well and truly battered. It does make you think about the defense that is put up all the time for SB? We need stability and he knows this league. Wolves manager came in in the summer and didn't work in the league before yet they are top of the league playing exciting, attacking football.

Still we are very close to the top 6. Hopefully we continue to beat the poorer teams and get a play off spot. But looking at the way SB plays against better teams I wouldn't hold out too much hope. 

We'll hover around 6th spot for the foreseeable. We all know Steve Bruce's limitations - the argument about someone 'knowing' the league has always been horseshit wheeled out to explain a lack of creative thinking and bravery in the boardroom, which is exactly what we've got on the pitch. 

It doesn't look like we've even tried to find the next generation of outstanding manager of the likes of Pochettino or Marco Silva to really build something to be proud of, or at least see a bit of positive football, meaning we are getting what we deserve as a club, and fucked over as fans. 

We'll sneak the playoff's I think, but there's no evidence to suggest we can actually beat good teams under Bruce, or even look like decent opposition, which the other 3 teams will be. It's then we'll have to put in place a more progressive board, and time for Xia to actually take some positive risks and look to the future. Currently he'd receive better advice at the Manor Tavern than the highly paid professionals he's wasted so much time and money on. 

Bruce doesn't trust different formations or styles of play. It's evident the players don't feel overly comfortable in his formations or style of play. 

I have to say, the lack of speed in midfield is ultimately what hurt us most again Wolves, that dynamic element.. being able to mixed things us... just wasn't apparent. Maybe it's the wake up call we needed before going into a difficult couple of months.

I think he (Bruce) has done well to steer the ship into calmer waters but this is now HIS team, with HIS ethos installed, playing HIS way.... and we are lacking ideas. 100% needs to convincingly beat Fulham on Saturday.